| Home | Article Database | Fun Stuff | Resources | Tools & Calculators | Search HY

Ask the Mental Health Expert Archives 2001-2004

Expert Home  |  Archives by Date  |  Search Expert Archives  |  For Professionals  |  For Consumers

Obtaining Rating Scales

Q. I am a medical director of a facility. We are currently working on a performance improvement project regarding clinical outcomes. I am having a very hard time obtaining information on how to acquire certain rating scales related to the diagnoses we want to assess. We are looking for measures for children and adolescents. For anxiety disorders I am trying to obtain information on the Child Manifest Anxiety Scale and the State Trait Anxiety Inventory for Children. I would appreciate any information you have regarding these scales or other relevant scales.

A. It is a challenge to locate the actual test instruments themselves. A good place to start is the catalog put out by a company called MHS, which you can reach at 1-800-456-3003 (or go to www.mhs.com).

This catalog includes numerous anxiety scales for children and adolescents, including the Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory for Children [STAIC]. (There is also a Windows-based software program that allows you to administer the STAIC in a computerized format).

I did not see the Child Manifest Anxiety Scale in this catalog, but it does include the Multidimensional Anxiety Scale for Children (MASC), developed by John March MD.

Finally, while I don't know if the article contains the actual scale, you may want to see the study by Inderbitzen-Nolan and Walters (J Clin Child Psychol 2000;29:360-71), which reviews data on the Social Anxiety Scale for Adolescents (SAS-A). This study also discusses the Revised Children's Manifest Anxiety Scale (RCMAS) and might give you the primary source for that scale. Good luck with your work!

March 2002

Disclaimer Back to Ask the Expert